Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ventures member Bob Bogle dies


I was deeply and profoundly saddened to hear that Bob Bogle has passed away Tuesday. His lengthy illness meant his death was not unexpected, but I still found myself choking back tears when I heard the news.

Everyone above a certain age knows a Ventures song. They really are that ubiquitous a presence in pop culture. I ran my fingers off as a young guitarist trying to master "Walk Don't Run" and "Hawaii Five-O." Bogle and Wilson should have statues erected of them in Cleveland just for those two pieces alone...but there is so much more...the recorded output of the Ventures is voluminous and covers a great deal of stylistic ground.

Bob Bogle touched and inspired a tremendous number of musicians-including some of the world's finest players. They range from obvious instrumental player devotees like Gary Hoey to some of Nashville's finest studio cats and many more in between. I count myself fortunate to have been aquainted with the music of the Ventures. I know the house band in Rock and Roll Heaven has gained one hell of an axe-slinger.

No comments:

Post a Comment