Monday, July 20, 2009

Music Monday-How Bad's The Coffee- John Hiatt

As a musician with eclectic taste it is very difficult to pick just one song each week. Personally I tend to want to avoid the beaten path. This week I've picked an album cut from one of my favorite singer-songwriters-John Hiatt. In his long and notable career John Hiatt is responsible for some of the most excellent folk and blues rock ever written. Songs such as "Thing Called Love," "Tennessee Plates," "Drive South," "Riding With The King," "Memphis in the Meantime," "Have a Little Faith in Me" have been recorded by artists as diverse as Bonnie Raitt, Suzy Bogguss, Mark Collie, Joe Cocker, B.B. King and Three Dog Night. I chose "How Bad's The Coffee" from John Hiatt's release "Beneath this Gruff Exterior" not because it is a fun song with a great hook and some killer slide guitar work by Sonny Landreth...but because I can relate to this song on many levels.

After many years of working on the road I found myself affected by the economic downturn and knew I couldn't continue and survive. Of course life on the road leads you to many truck stops, diners and local eateries since you tend to quickly tire of the chain places because the food is the same everywhere. 2008 saw me back home in North Georgia and in the restaurant business at a 50's themed diner concept quick serve restaurant. This particular restaurant had brutally awful coffee which was so strong and bitter it would turn your stomach from the first sip. This immediately put me in mind of this song...I am no longer at that particular restaurant...in fact my current employer makes excellent smooth Colombian blend coffee. Still I cherish the memories of all the great greasy spoon eateries this song brings back-even if they have great coffee! Take the Trolley Stop Cafe on St. Charles in New Orleans for example. Great greasy diner food!

Sadly there is no video available of Hiatt himself performing this song...so here is a bar band called "Bad Dog" doing their version.






Lyrics | John Hiatt lyrics - How Bad's The Coffee lyrics

Come join Music Monday and share your songs with us. One simple rule, leave ONLY the actual post link here. You can grab this code at LJL Please note these links are STRICTLY for Music Monday participants only. All others will be deleted without prejudice.






No comments:

Post a Comment