Friday, September 4, 2009

Review-The Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again

As a musician, when I talk about my musical influences none loom larger than John Fogerty. Creedence's blending of rock, rockabilly and country into a swampy Louisiana inspired gumbo was the first sound to electrify my soul and convince me that I should play guitar. After Creedence folded, Fogerty's first release was "The Blue Ridge Rangers" a collection of country and gospel songs on which John played all the instruments. Despite being a project begun as a contractual obligation stopgap, the original Blue Ridge Rangers album has a homespun charm and undeniably enthusiastic performances. It is clear that country and rockabilly are never too far from the mind of this singer.

Fast Forward to 2009. Last Tuesday "The Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again" was released on Verve records. This time John has enlisted top drawer studio players to play with in the studio but otherwise follows the formula of the original by simply picking favorite songs and reworking them with his inimitable sound. I had mixed feelings about John doing an album of covers at this point since he is one of America's greatest songwriters-and his last release 'Revival' proved he had lost none of his songwriting mojo. With all of this in my mind, I clicked 'buy' on Amazon.com and purchased.

First up is a reworking of John Prine's 1971 classic 'Paradise' done in a neo-bluegrass style. Fogerty's voice is so ebullient and his enthusiasm so palpable that it almost belies the sadness of this tale of appalachian environmental disaster. The tone for the rest of the album is set...it is obvious that John is having a ball revisiting some of his favorites. The classic 'Never Ending Song of Love,' 'I Don't Care (As Long as you Love Me) 'Heaven's Just A Sin Away' and 'Fallin, Fallin' Fallin' are pure country bliss with Fogerty's trademark vocals.

'Garden Party' sung with Don Henley and Timothy B. Schmit is an apt choice with its tale of being true to yourself. It is also notable that Fogerty was a huge fan of the classic rockabilly music Ricky Nelson and James Burton made together. Like Rick Nelson, Fogerty also found himself haunted by the shadows of his past work at one point in his career. He has since made peace with the past and embraced it fully.

'Haunted House' is reworked as a rockabilly rave up with Fogerty's voice crackling over a twangy guitar. Pat Boone's 1961 murder ballad "Moody River" is a left field surprise that actually delighted me. I've never been a Pat Boone fan...but this particular song in its new arrangement is undeniably great.

I'm sure Fogerty's detractors will take great pride in questioning his dobro sweetened version of John Denver's 'Back Home Again' but I'm gonna stick my neck out and admit that I like John Denver's original...and this new version. Anyone who has spent a significant amount of time traveling for a living understands the sentiment.

John did revisit one of his originals, "Change in the Weather" from the much maligned and poorly received 'Eye of the Zombie' album. Re-imagining this song in a different arrangement to underscore the prevailing feeling of the last eight years was a daring move on Fogerty's part...though I don't necessarily believe he has improved on the original.

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of songs. I think the sheer joy and enthusiasm that this group of musicians displayed on this album is the reason. John's voice is in fine form and he sounds positively inspired. I'm eagerly anticipating an album of new material soon...but I will be listening to this regularly until then.

The Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again-Four out of Five Stars


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment